Tuesday, June 10, 2014

That New Car Smell

Today was kind of a rough day.  What started off as going to have our Prius looked into and hoping for an O2 sensor quickly turned into a little more than we had bargained.  Kevin had made the comment to me a week ago that the Check Engine light had come on in the Prius.  I always joke that it means "check your pocket book!".  Sure enough..... I went to get my car at the place that cares for our regular maintenance on the cars.  They have always been very fair with us and are nice folks.  When I stopped by today he said "maybe we should have a seat"  (never a good sign).  The catalytic converter is slowly going out on the Prius, a problem that they are starting to find out that Prius's have more often.  Now, I should tell you, the catalytic converter on a  hybrid... NOT CHEAP!  $2K to be exact.  Now, compound this with the fact that we just paid the darn thing off last month, we don't even have the title in hand right now... It's still in the mail....

So I call the hubs and put him on speaker phone, he immediately says "well let's get it fixed" I said, Kevin, I think we need to talk about this.  Now, let me remind you of a few things.  We have no debt except for our house, we haven't been a month without a car payment, so I would like to enjoy this new found freedom for a few months/years if at all possible.  At the same time I realize that we have a family that is growing.  Both of our vehicles can easily handle a car seat, but what happens down the road if there is a Baby K2?  Do we do the upgrade now?  Do we wait it out?  How do we know the new Cat Converter isn't going to crap out on us?  A new one only carries a 12 month warranty (or 12K miles, which we know we will hit in 3-4 month). ... So I said, why don't I just do some pricing around town and see what a new car would cost, etc.

So off I went... (Disclaimer: At first I wasn't sure I was going to post the names of the businesses that I visited, but I feel that it is really necessary, especially for those of you who have had sour experiences to really enjoy the story.. that and I think that the general public needs to know some things)

Stop #1 - Little Apple Toyota - I drove around the parking lot a few times, scoping out the used cars.  There was one I was interested in so i cautiously got out of the car and looked around.  It seemed safe... no salespeople in site.  So as I was looking at one of the used cars I see in the window a man running (literally running) towards the lot.  I scurry two cars over, but not in time, he has me cornered.  He is actually still tucking his shirt in and putting on his belt as he approaches me (afternoon nap?).  Leans against another car and says "so, can I help you?"  Just looking, thank you.  He doesn't get the hint, "so what are you in the market for?"  I said, oh, just looking Thank you.  Again, still doesn't get the hint and just stands there and stares at me awkwardly.  (Side Bar: Anytime I get annoyed with someone in a situation like this, I start to rub the pregnant belly and made disgruntled faces at them.  Hoping they get the hint and leave).  So I rub my belly, put a hand on my back and said, well we are looking at possibly trading our Prius in.  He asked me how many miles are on it and I proudly tell him jut over 151,000!  So I ask him what kind of trade in value he thinks my car has.  (Before I tell you what his response is, I do feel like I need to explain something.  I LOVE MY PRIUS.  It makes me sad that Kevin drives this car every day to work and I do not have the option to drive in daily.  I'm not sure what it is about this car, maybe it's because it's the first car I negotiated on my own?  Maybe it's because it gets great gas mileage?  Maybe it's all of the research I put into buying it... I'm not sure, but I do know that my emotional attachment to this vehicle is a bit excessive) He looks at me and says very gruffly (still leaning on the car) "hmm, maybe $1,000, probably not even that"  The man has offended me.  I feel like he has insulted my child.  I am no longer interested  in what he has to say.  In fact, I am so angry at what he has just told me that I just want to get in my little green car and leave.  He stands between me and my car.  So I start walking, hand on my belly, other hand on my back.  He keeps talking to me, at this point I have no idea what he is saying.  I just have to get in my car.  I somehow get in my car and stew over what has just happened.  I call Kevin and he says "hey, I bet if I take the car in tomorrow I can get more money for it then you just did"... True story my friend... True Story.

Stop #2 - Briggs - I decide to continue on my journey, this time a little further down the road.  I stop at Brigg's and ask if they have any hybrids.  He tells me that he will check one of their 11 lots!  This sounds promising:)  I go in to the store (big mistake).  They start asking me why I want a hybrid.  I explain that my husband drives to Topeka every day and we really enjoy the gas mileage that the Prius has gotten us and really haven't had any major problems in the last 151,000 miles.  One guy in the room looks at me and says to me "well we need to get your husband into something that has a little get up and go."  I said, oh, I think the Prius has plenty of get up and go, I don't think we need to worry about that.  He said "oh no, I think your husband needs a V6 or a V8"  I'm sure you do, that is not necessary, thank you for your unsolicited input.  So he says, what if we put your husband into a car that is completely gas powered and you don't have to worry about the battery.  I told him that we have never had a problem with the battery and that I was not too concerned about that.  I then had to explain to him that you don't plug a Prius in (he was confused, it wasn't a Toyota dealership, so maybe I'll cut him some slack?)  They take me out to this mini, wanna be SUV thing that was smaller than the Prius.  I took one look at it and said HA, I would NEVER drive something that UGLY! My time at Brigg's was done.

Stop #3 - By this time I have learned my lessons 1 - Do NOT get out of the car and 2 - Go at least 10MPH through the lots so that the dealers cannot catch you.  Remember, you are in a vehicle, they are on foot.  Dick Edwards.  I found their used car lot, I drove around three times, enough time for TWO salesman to come out.  I had a quick question so I rolled my window down (just enough so they could hear me).  Asked some basic questions and then thanked them for their time, and drove off.  They offered to take my name and number, but that is information I do not give out to just anyone.

I made a few other stops, picked my mom up to do some shopping around town, took her back to show her a few things that I had discovered during my adventures.  One of these sadly was at Little Apple Toyota.  This time we did have a salesman who was fully dressed.  He was actually pretty knowledgeable and I would for sure visit with him again IF we were interested.

All in all... a long day... a very educational day and most importantly... a day full of great stories:)

For now I think we will keep the Pistachio - her and I have been together for a few years and I just don't think our time is over.  She took me on many dates with Kevin, took me to my wedding day, takes my husband to and from Topeka safely every day and I look forward to bringing our beanette home in her.


No comments:

Post a Comment