Saturday, June 21, 2014

Sheldon....

A few weeks ago my mom bought some chicks, I thought it would be great if I got some ducks to add to her flock and before she could say yes I had acquired 4!  When I went to buy my 2 (cough 4) ducks I couldn't decide on one what breed, and I thought that everyone needed a mate and I didn't want any specific duck to feel like they didn't look like the others.  SO, I decided on 2 spotted ducks and 2 crested ducks (I honestly would have gotten more but they only had two breeds at the time)....

I took them to my mom's and we made them a swimming pool (Kevin refused to let them swim in the pool in our backyard, I don't know why)....
From Left to Right: Sheldon, Spot, Penny and Howard

These little suckers have GROWN in just three weeks - every time I go out to visit them (I try to see them every other day when I am in town) I swear that they double in size.... Now, let's get a few things straight, yes, I know that they are "just ducks", I'm not convinced that I may or may not switch Howard and Penny around, I just can't keep them straight and honestly all four of these little fuzzy creatures hate me and anyone else with two legs. 

There are also some things that if you don't already know about me...well, you should.  When I start a project or do something, I go ALL IN.  So, when I got ducks, I went all in, I fell in love with all four of my ducks - they were each different in their own special way (yes, again, I know that they are ducks)... I get attached, and by attached.. well, just read on. 

This morning I received a text message from my mom that Sheldon was limping and was not doing well.  I met up with her later in the day and found out that apparently Sheldon had somehow broken his/her/it's little duck leg... He wasn't really moving around his duck box and wasn't able to get to water or food.  I asked her the inevitable question, "do we have to put him down?"and she shook her head yes.  Now, I should set the scene a little.  We are standing in the middle of the paint section at Menards and I start to cry.  I mean, Sheldon is my least favorite of the 4, but still, he's my little duck.  So as I wipe away a few tears I say out loud "I am crying over a duck... really?" (I'm chalking this one up to pregnancy hormones)... It sounds so ridicules when you say it out loud... We both agreed to not talk about it any more. 

So, no more tears have been shed. We are going to see how he progresses throughout the weekend but his prognoses looks grim.  I said a few prayers for him during church tonight (yes, a duck), but we will see how things go.  

I know it's the circle of life, but still... when you are the one responsible for it... a little part of you feels like you let it down.... 




No comments:

Post a Comment