Monday, November 3, 2014

Sleep!

This is the first blog post I have written in what seems like forever!  There have been numerous blog posts that I have intended to write, I just haven't had the time to do it (shocking...).  The last day or two I have found some extra time here and there so I wanted to start on some of these posts. 

Before we got pregnant, I valued my sleep.  I had a strict schedule that I followed, aiming for a minimum of 8 hours of sleep.   While I was pregnant sleep became more and more scarce... My insomnia was awful, I would fall asleep early and then wake up from 2AM-4AM or even longer.  I'm sure it was my body ramping me up for this little human being coming into this world!

The first week Kennedy was home, holy smokes she had her days and nights mixed up!  The first night we were at home she was up until 4:45 (wanting to be held, and walked and rocked... quite honestly I'm not sure what she wanted and neither was she.... we were still both so new to each other and trying to figure each other out!).... The first week continued like this, off and on.... but once we hit about week 3 I woke up in the morning and my heart skipped a beat.... we had only woken up once in the night and it was 8AM.... I ran to her little bassinet she sleeps in, in our bedroom and peeked in, and there she was.... sleeping peacefully.... I had a conversation with my mom about whether or not we should wake her... and even though we agreed we weren't going to wake her, I did.... 

Now that we are at the beginning of week 5, this whole wake up once in the middle of the night has gotten better and better! I know I'm not getting anywhere close to 8 hours of sleep at night, but honestly.... I wouldn't want to spend it any other way!  Kennedy and I are getting our schedules both on the same track, she fusses to wake me up, I get up and pump, she wakes up when I get done, I change her, feed her and rock her back to sleep and then lay her back down.... We do this once each night and on a good day she will wake up for the day around 8AM or 9AM....  Our whole system takes us about an hour if it is just me, on the weekends when Kevin is able to help out more we can cut that time down to 35-45 minutes... there ought to be an Olympic sport for changing, feeding and putting a baby back to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment